Sunday, March 27, 2011

Invisible Children

I had heard of Invisible Children a few years ago, but was never entirely sure of what the organization's mission was or the history of it all. After watching the documentary though, I was very moved to learn more and become more involved in helping the children affected by the war in Uganda. As I was watching the movie, all I could think about was How can  no one care? It seems that children soldiers and displaced Ugandans are receiving a shocking low amount of aid, especially in light of the gravity of the situation. After all, these are children. Not adults who no better, but children. I often hear about situations such as these and feel like it is a different planet and the people affected by these wars are nothing like myself or any of my family or friends. As I watched the filmmakers interview three young boys, I was struck by how similar they were to many students I know. They mentioned popular musicians and smiled when they started singing their songs. I suddenly realized that while this may be happening in a nation that is nothing like my own and may be millions of miles away, people are people no matter where they are. Theses boys' culture does not make them any more or less immune to the horrors they have witnessed. This feeling of connection with the victims of abduction and forced combat inspired me to get more involved. A friend and I hope to raise money for Invisible Children by fundraising at school in hopes to somewhat contribute positively in any way we can to an overwhelmingly negative situation.

1 comment:

  1. Kimberly, Honest, interesting and thoughtful responses in each of your posts. If anything, make sure that you use enough details and specifics to support what are always your really intriguing ideas. As a whole, your blog is serving as a great and authentic representation of your voice.

    ReplyDelete